Thursday, October 28, 2010

Sentence Test
Correct and rewrite:

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle a British novelist and storyteller. Best known for his stories about Sherlock Holmes. Who was a famous detective. Dr. Watson was a friend of Holmes. Helping him whenever he could. Watson was always surprised at the clues Holmes managed to find. Since he wasn't as smart as Holmes. I enjoyed seeing if I could solve Holmes's cases before he revealed the solution. It was a simple matter of putting pieces together. In their proper order. It was like finishing a jigsaw puzzle. Being finally able to see the whole picture. I was able to figure out more than Watson. Who was always two steps behind. But usually had to wait until the last chapter. To see how Holmes solved the case. There was an element of suspense. To make me wonder how he would find the clue he needed.

Rewrite any sentence with fragments, run-ons or comma splices. Write CORRECT if the example is a complete sentence

1. The baseball manager, knowing that Sam was not hitting well and that Jack was about to come out of his batting slump.
2. The threat of rain hanging heavily in the air.
3. The aspirin bottle sitting on the shelf, and a plastic bottle of shampoo.
4. Hand woven ties, which are being designed and produced in California and have become the latest fashion.
5. Mrs. Jones, who is a good cook, does tend to overcook the roast beef.
6. It is wise to consult a doctor. If you have a headache.
7. Everyone knew that Hal should have gotten the nomination because he was the best qualified of all the candidates.
8. Jill has some weird hobbies. Like collecting old shoelaces, out-of-date college catalogs, and aspirin bottle tops.
9. Rinse the hair several times it will not shine unless all of the shampoo is removed.
10. My next-door neighbor buys beautiful clothes but she doesn't like to take care of them.
11. They will deliver the things you buy right to your home you can see and try the products before you pay for them.
12. I like to clean house and rearrange things, while I am working, I listen to music.
13. My brother-in-law has a good job but he never seems to have enough money to pay his bills.
14. I like to listen to a good rock group everyone in my family enjoys the same type of music.
15. The spotted cats creeping in the underbrush.
16. They painting the flagpole in bright yellow.
17. The children grown a lot this past year.
18. By six, he already walking to his next class.
19. I seen her here before.
20. I going to be a doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment